Thursday, December 17, 2015

Thanks Abby, G.O.A.T. You changed the game [VIDEO]

After the game, Abby Wambach stood with her teammates and watched a tribute video and addressed the crowd.

"I love this team, this country, and it has been my pleasure and my honor to represent you all, the fans, for as long as I’ve been able to," she said. "The reality is, I think symbolically, the way that this game went, I’m walking away, but the future is so bright. These women are going to kill it, I know it. Before I get to emotional, I want to express how important it is to give all of yourself to whatever it is you do."

With that, she dropped the mic.

Wambach's final U.S. numbers:
-- 255 appearances (5th all-time);
-- 184 goals (1st all-time);
-- 73 assists (3rd all-time).

Wambach's championships:
1998: Florida (NCAA Division I)
2003: Washington Freedom (WUSA)
2004: USA (Olympics)
2012: USA (Olympics)
2015: USA (Women's World Cup) 


Retiring U.S. national team star Abby Wambach talked to Bill Simmons about inequalities in sports. 


"Ever since I announced my retirement," Wambach said, "I have been able to have cool conversations and pick people's brains to figure out why there is such a disparity not just in my sport but in other sports and other industries. There is there innate thing that women are less than that women don't deserve to be treated fairly. "I think that our society is pushing toward a place where we really start to look to each other as people and not put each other in these boxes. This equality thing is in all. I feel the men get paid way more than the women in soccer, yeah, I understand logically the argument about the ratings and that is more global. But that doesn't mean that it makes it right. Equality isn't something that actually costs anything. I know we are talking about gender pay gap differences. But to treat someone fairly doesn't cost a single cent. It wouldn't cost anything it would be just a decision. When you are in it you don't want to fight too much against it because you want to be thankful for what you are getting." 


CLICK HERE for full podcast.‎

No comments: