Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Lady Viking, Alex Rios at Camp with Mexican National Team: Daily Journal

Alex Rios #13

Tuesday, November 17th
It’s the day. The day I leave for Mexico for two weeks. I’m nervous. That’s natural right? I know it’s the last tryout for a while. This is for the world team. So, yeah…being this nervous could only be natural. I finished packing my things and got to airport where I met Lauren. We both wanted the same thing, to make this team. We sat together on the plane and did homework (we both got a lot). We didn’t talk much at first. All was silent the whole plane ride here. When we got to the Mexico City airport, we got off the plane with our heads held high. We went through customs to the other side of the airport where a taxi driver was waiting for us. He took us to our destination. The place is called Conade. This is where all national athletes for Mexico stay when in training. Other sports representing Mexico were here with us. But, of course the pressure is on us. Soccer is the most popular sport in this country. We walked up to the counter and got our room numbers, and begin to settle in. My roommates are Crystal, Alexandra (Alex or Duran as we call her), and Tanya. Lauren was on the other side of the building with her roommate Alejandra (Ally or Ale). They are all very nice. They showed us around and gave us the rundown on the schedule. They were very welcoming. At 5:00 pm that night, we got ready for our first practice. We get on the bus to go to a place special for just the Mexican National team to practice. We get there, and we put our stuff on. Lauren was good at hiding her nerves. I, however, was no good at it. I was trembling all over. I got to the field, and still shaking, did the warm-up. We began to play. I made a few mistakes at first. Coach Leo calmly told me that I need to relax and play my game. He’s seen me play before. He knew what I could do. The rest of the practice went by slowly as I struggled with the altitude and my asthma. By the end, I was tired, hungry, and homesick. I wasn’t sure whether I could last two weeks. This was going to be the hardest two weeks of my life. I wasn’t sure I would make it. I called my mom that night and put on a fake smile. I had my doubts, but my parents told me they would be proud, no matter what happened these two weeks. Then, is when I realized that I was going to do my best to make it happen, and I would strive to make this team, but most of all, I would have fun.

Wednesday and Thursday, November 18-19th
These days went by the same. Two-a-days. One running practice in the morning, and a scrimmage in the afternoon. These were long of course. I couldn’t breathe with the altitude. There is a lot of competition. It was hard to keep up at first. Strength and determination were the only tools I needed to turn on my game. The skill came by itself after that. All was well on the 19th. Everything got a lot better. I started to feel like I was stronger, faster, and in better shape. In between practices, our group of six did our homework mostly. Only at night would we start a party. This night in particular, Crystal hid in the closet and jumped out to scare people. We took video on Crystal’s and Ally’s computer’s too. It was really fun. We always thought that we would be panicking into the next week about our homework. We would just laugh at the idea. There is a good social scene here as well as a good soccer atmosphere. It was a good balance of the two.

Friday, November 20th
Today was a one day practice. We practiced once in the morning. It was intense running the first half. The second half was about the shape of the offence. We went back to Conade, and some lunch. We relaxed the rest of the day. The next day was a huge test of skills. We would be divided into two teams and play two separate games. We did homework the rest of the night. Ally and Lauren slept over in our room that night. There were the only two in their room at the time. Their roommates would show up later in the week. So today passed slowly with little activity. It wasn’t very exciting. We went to bed early that night to be ready for the games in the morning.

Saturday, November 21st Rios - 3rd from right
The two games were today. They weren’t bad teams either. Lauren was on the first team that played. They did ok. They tied 1-1. We were the next team to play. Butterflies were flying around in my stomach the entire time we warmed up. It was hard to concentrate at first, because I was to busy wondering what would happen if I made a mistake as a defender. I had nothing to worry about. Our team did much better than the first. We won 3-0. It was a good game. It was very competitive between the two teams. The coach only had good things to say about our team. Lauren ended up playing both games. She was the most tired of the six of us. After the games, we went back to camp and we all fell asleep before dinner. At dinner we were all very hyper. We also, found a love for Nutella chocolate on bread. We kept going back and forth through the line to get more chocolate. Together, the six of us finished three jars of Nutella chocolate. And, as expected, we were so hyper that we didn’t go to bed until almost midnight. That’s late here considering the intensity of training. We just sat there and talked all night about anything random. We also sang songs from Ally’s and my IPods. That was our night, full of fun and not enough sleep. We knew that we would pay for it in the morning for the next set of games.

Sunday, November 22nd
We woke up just in time for breakfast. We were all really tired. We had those dark bags under our eyes. We weren’t sure that we were ready to play. Actually, we knew we weren’t ready. We were terrified to play, because we knew we would do poorly. We got on the bus and tried to prepare ourselves mentally for the game ahead. We get there, and we find out that we wouldn’t have to play that day. The team from yesterday didn’t have to play the game. Excluding Crystal, we went to another field to play a couple of games of soccer tennis. It was a good thing that we didn’t have to play, because we were so tired. We were really happy. We did promise ourselves that we would sleep well that next night. However, after that game, we did have something else to worry about. They began to make cuts from the team that played that day. They would be going home the next day. I was shocked at some of the girls that got cut. They were really good players. I was worried about my spot on the national team. We have yet to find out if anyone else is going to get cut. Now every time that the six of us step out on to that field, we terrified of being pulled over to the side and told that there would not be a spot for us on the Under 17 national team. I would just have to wait to see how the rest of the week was going to pan out for myself and my new friends. To relieve our worries, a dad of one of the girls signed us out so we could go to the mall for a while. It really was a relief. Tonight, we actually felt normal. For once in these two weeks, I didn’t feel so homesick. I had fun. When Crystal, Alex, and Ally went to movie, Tanya, Lauren, and I went shopping. Lauren and I didn’t spend as much as Tanya did. She spent about 700 pesos ($70 U.S. dollars). We walked from store to store looking and the many different things that weren’t in the U.S. We were even rushing to get back before curfew. We were having so much fun that we lost track of time. We struggled to pack six of us into two cabs and back to Conade in time. We made it with a minute to spare. We got back to the room, all out of breath, and we laughed about our adventure to get back. For a moment, we forgot all about the cuts, and we were relaxed again.

Monday, November 23rd
Today was a single practice day again. It was some more intense running and some skill work. It wasn’t a hard practice overall. It was just the fear of being cut that made practice hard. We all didn’t want to mess up at all. After practice was over, no one was cut. So we ate lunch in peace. We had a few hours in between before treatments would begin. We weren’t exactly sure what treatment was. All the coaches told us was to bring extra clothes, sandals, sport bras, and sliders or short shorts. We went back to the place where we practice, and sat in the locker room that was so professional looking. It was amazing. There we stripped down to our shorts and bras and began treatments. Treatments consisted of a steam room for 15 minutes (it got so hot and it felt disgusting to sweat like that), a 15 minute hot tub treatment, (which felt amazing), a massage (for injured or hurt players first), then a hot shower (times varied depending on the girl). It was a good treatment. My legs didn’t feel so tight after, and my body felt more rested than ever before. It was perfect timing in the week. It was about half way through tryouts, and right before our game against Trinidad and Tobago. We all were a little more relaxed now about the cuts. Before dinner, Saul (one of the coaches of the team) clarified some tactical points on defending. It made me feel a little better about the trials and hopefully I’ll get a spot on the team. I’m not a worried as I was this morning, but there’s no stopping now. Any girl would want my spot, and I’m not about to give it up after coming so far. Hopefully what I’m giving is good enough. I guess we’ll find out later this week.

Tuesday, November 24
Today, at breakfast, there were only three of us present. Ally, Alex, and I were the only ones of our six not feeling under the weather. The others (Crystal, Lauren, and Tanya) were all sick from some food from the vending machines. We knew that they shouldn’t practice for the day. They wanted to push the two-a-day anyway. Turns out, Doctora (our team trainer) wouldn’t let them practice the first practice. By lunch, everyone was feeling somewhat better. We had a couple of hours before the second practice. The three sick ones slept the entire time, while Ally, Alex, and I did homework in the next room. We did a good amount before it (Rios - Left) was time to go. We’ve been saying all week that we would spend one day on homework to get it done. But, it never happened until today. So as we left for the second practice, the sick three were feeling much better, and they practiced. It was a good practice about shape. It was still intense, but it wasn’t that bad since we are all used to the air by now. At practice, there was a new girl who came in that morning. Her name was Christina. She’s from California. We welcomed her in, and she stayed with us for the rest of the night. She ended up becoming our next roommate. There were now seven of us crammed into a room meant for four people. But, we didn’t care. We were all close friends by now, and we all didn’t mind having many people sleep in one room, because we are all good friends.

Wednesday, November 25
Today was an easy practice day. Today was very exciting, because everyone still standing on the field today has made the team! It’s mind blowing to be part of this team. It can’t be described in words how I feel. Those feelings are covered up at the moment from my nerves. Our first game as a team is tomorrow. And to be completely honest, I’m not sure who we’re playing, and I don’t care who it is. All I know is that I need to show this coach even more of what I’ve got. I have to play well. I’m not trying to put pressur on myself, but it comes naturally to me. I just know that doing my best should make the biggest difference in the game. It’s just the nerves that could stop me from doing my best. As much as I want to be here, and as long as I living my dream, Nothing can stop me now. I’ve worked much too hard to give it up now. I’m not ready to give up. I’m not ready to go home without a national player title.

As nervous as we all are, we are all still pretty calm. We thought of a cheer for tomorrow. We’ve all shared our feelings about what needs to happen. I know that this team is good and that we could win. I’m ready to show what I got. I’m calm, and I should be ready. I’m confident in myself and my teammates to get the job done.

Today continued with more relaxing and more homework…or atleast an attempt. Ally and I made a huge dent in the work that we had. My other roommates weren’t as fortunate. They didn’t get much accomplished. Tonight for dinner, we order some food for some local place. It wasn’t any better than the food in the cafeiteria all the athletes eat from. We were very disappointed. We were laughing while eating outside in the cold. You see what had happened was that we were the only one’s that ordered in. we didn’t want to get attacked by the other girls for the food, so we had to seek around the campus to get away from our teammates. Everywhere we went, there were people and we had to run away from them. We just decided to eat outside in this little corner by ourselves. So, after that, the rest of the night was devoted to homework for me atleast.

Thursday, November 26
This is it. Today is game day. I’m a little nervous. I still wasn’t sure whether I would start today, but I was ready to start if I needed to. We got to the locker room. I was still nervous as I sat at my locker, and I gazed at my uniform. I was picturing myself wearing the uniform before I put it on. Before we got ready, we took pictures on the field. I still wasn’t sure how the game was going to go. We put on our shorts, went outside to warm-up. Being one of the starting eleven, I did a special warm-up. We went to go change, and I was still nervous. The feeling wasn’t going away. While I was putting on that jersey, I said a little prayer asking God to help me. I was hoping he would come through for me. We walked out onto that field, and I was still praying to God to help me. Turns out, it wasn’t that bad. We all played a very good as a team. I didn’t expect to play the whole game. But, I did and I was so tired. Trinadad and Tobago wasn’t a bad team. But, it was just a quick, good practice for us. We did good overall. After the game, I said another prayer, thanking God for getting me through and for helping me play well. We got back on the bus, and I called my family to wish them a happy Thanksgiving. Mexico doesn’t celebrate Thanksgiving like Americans do. So what the Americans did today was that we got together at the same table, and we gave thanks to the chicken and the meat being served in the cafeteria that day. Everyone stared of course, but we didn’t care. We just sat there together and were thankful. After that meal, I took a shower and slept well that night. We all did because we were so tired. All was peaceful and well.

Friday, November 27
Today we had a light practice. We have another game tomorrow. I’m not as nervous about it as I was. I don’t know if I’ll play tomorrow. The girls who played the entire game, like the entire defense, shouldn’t play. We are all really tired. Today we were playing soccer tennis while the rest of the team that didn’t play had an actual practice. We went back to Conade and relaxed the entire time until dinner. Today was one of the girl’s 15th birthday, so we got cake. It was good to have some food with some fat for once. But, other than that, today passed quickly and calmly. I finished my homework today, so I don’t have to do anything on the way back, and I can relax. I’m glad I came, but I’m ready to go home. I’m homesick. But, I only have one more day starting tomorrow. And, tomorrow is a game. So, I’m ready to go home and see my family, my friends, and NEW MOON!!!

Rios - bottom right hand corner

Saturday, November 28
Today was another game day against Trinadad and Tobago. It was the same team. I didn’t play today. He wanted to try out other girls. It wasn’t pretty at first. We were losing 2-0 at half time. After half time, everything settled down, and they played well. We ended up winning 5-2. It was a good game after the second half. The coach, Leo, told me that I didn’t have to worry about my playing time. He didn’t play me, because my back flared up again in the last game. I was ok with that of course, nut I was still a little sad that I didn’t get to play. The bus ride back to Conade was so fun. Lauren and I had our taxi ride to the airport set up for the next morning. When we got on the bus, there was a party going on. We rode back to Conade, and I’m pretty sure that I was smiling the entire time. We had fun. One of the dad’s on the team bought flowers from a street vendor and we all got flowers. They were beautiful roses. We got back and I started packing. It was sad to say bye to everyone who was leaving today. But, there are still some of us here tonight. Lucy, of the remaining Americans, bought us real food from Mexico. She got us real tacos, and they were really good. So, now I’m getting ready for bed, reflecting on the week, and I was glad that I came, but I’m ready to go home. I miss my family and my friends so much. I can’t wait to get up at 5:45 tomorrow morning to get ready to go back home. Hopefully, I sleep well at least.

No comments: